This week I want to share a very simple yoga pose called Sat Kriya that is said to help strengthen your mind and whole body. It can help to connect and strengthen your pelvic floor, core muscles and spine, help with anxiety and fear, aid digestion, cleanse and balance your bodies energy, stimulates creativity and can help build your self-esteem... Em yes please to all of the above! Here is a step by step guide to Sat Kriya:
1. sit on your heels, straight but relaxed back.
If it feels uncomfortable, put a pillow between your bum and legs or sit on a chair with your feet together).
2. fold your hands in front of you so that your left thumb is on top of your right thumb (opposite for men). stretch out your forefingers.
3. Inhale and stretch your arms out in front of you and above your head, trying to keep them straight by locking your elbows. Exhale and relax your shoulders.
4. Do a powerful Root Lock - basically a Kegel exercise. Imagine trying to stop peeing and clenching your bum at the same time, while also pulling in your navel. this is a Root Lock. Hold if for a few seconds and then release gently... Let your breath control itself.
5. Repeat the Root Lock for 3 minutes while thinking or saying the mantra SAT NAM. SAT as you do the Root Lock and NAM as you gently release.
This Mantra comes from Kundalini Yoga and means "True Identity" or aligning with your truth. It helps you focus and stay present while doing this yoga pose.
If you're pregnant or menstruating, simply sit with your hands resting in your lap (not above your head) and either avoid it completely or do a very soft Root Lock while saying the mantra SAT NAM.
6. Its important to Always Relax for a few minutes after doing Sat Kriya to help your body recover 🙏🏻
If I had to choose just one yoga pose to do everyday, this is the pose I would choose!
Have a great day, Love
Join the Mama Go Me Time email list (free) and get exclusive wellness and self-care tips sent straight to your inbox! Including your FREE Ebook:
7 Essential Self-love & Care Habits Every Mama Needs To Know!