I hope you've had or are still enjoying a wonderful summer mama. After 3 weeks of sun, fun and family time I'm feeling inspired and ready to dive back into the daily routines of mama life, work and all the exciting projects I have planned ahead (pssst exciting news to come in just a few weeks!)
As I do, I'm reminding myself to relax.. to breathe.. to take moments out of busy days to just be.. to listen to my body and rest when I'm tired.. to love myself, flaws and all because we are all perfectly imperfect.. to be grateful for all that I have and are and do.. to worry less about the mess and more about being present.. to let go of the "could have, should have, would have"... to have more fun, play and be silly..
Whether you're just starting your holidays or returning back to everyday life, I hope you'll do the same.
Nutrition is an interesting topic because as there is no one size fits all and we are all different. What might be right for me may not be the same for you and i really believe it's best to listen to your own body and get help from an expert in the field of nutrition any time we want to make any lifestyle changes. But recently I have had some questions about what i eat and so today i want to share with you 5 of my favourite foods that I normally eat every day...
1. Breakfast is a must for me and i love to have my avocado on toast with pomegranate and a hot cup of coffee... (i love coffee but limit myself to this one cup a day)
2. I Love a good Smoothie. Its such a simple and quick way to fill my body with healthy fruits and vegetables to boost my energy levels throughout the day when life is busy. (recipe on my favourite smoothies to come...)
Tip: According to Chinese medicine we should never drink it ice cold in the winter as your body will prefer to eat foods that are warm or at least room temperature when the weather is cold. Especially if you're a mama who tends to get easily cold or fatigued...
3. Chicken stock or broth... Sorry to offend any vegans/vegetarians out there, i know this one is controversial. Having been a vegetarian for a few years i do now eat a little bit of meat and chicken stock is just so amazing for your gut and immune system. I freeze it in ice cube trays and heat it up in soups, rice or quinoa for lunch or dinner.
4. Quinoa is a fantastic source of protein as it contains all the amino acids. I always have it for lunch with a salad and cook it with stock to give it tons of flavour.
5. Dates. I love everything sweet and dates cover my sweet cravings! They are a great source of energy and contain fiber, antioxidants and nutrients such as calcium and magnesium.
Tip: Mix 12 dates, 2 cups of nuts (cashew and walnuts are great) and 2 tbs of raw cocoa powder in a food processor. Roll into balls and enjoy as a yummy healthy treat!
To save time and energy thinking about "what should i eat today?" i eat a lot of the same foods everyday, varying a few things to keep it interesting and balanced. Dinner is a must for us that we enjoy making and enjoying as a family.
I don't count calories or weigh myself, i just try to focus on nourishing my body with the healthiest foods possible and focusing on how it makes my body feel after i eat it. I also make sure to eat enough throughout the day to maintain my energy levels. I know how easy it is to forget to eat when life is busy, but as the Norwegian saying goes; "Uten mat og drikke, duger mama ikke" - which is roughly translated into "without food and drink, you ain't gonna function mama!". And to be able to show up as our best selves, we need to make sure our bodies are getting its nutrients.
I hope this inspires you in some way to either add more foods to your plate or at least make sure you're eating enough healthy foods to boost your energy levels throughout your day. But just remember, you do what feels good for you!
Have a great one, Love
I really believe that meditation is THE most important thing we can do for ourselves and for those we love. I always try to start my day with a little meditation as I find it helps me to calm, clear and focus my mind. It also grounds me and helps me to connect with how I'm feeling. Throughout the day I find I'm much happier, more relaxed and present...
Meditation is really just a fancy word for tuning in to yourself. If you're new to it, turn off all distractions, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Thats it, you're meditating! It really is that simple...
When our mind is spinning with all the things we need to do, it isn't always so easy to stay focused. So I want to share 3 meditation apps that I have used and found to be lovely; Calm, Buddhify and my personal favourite Headspace.
They all have free trials so I would recommend taking them for a test ride to find what works for you. If you feel like it - commit to yourself to try a few minutes of meditation a day either by just focusing on your breath for a few minutes with your eyes closed or using an app. See how something so simple can transform how you feel and go about your day!
We all know it's important, but we often forget. So todays blog post is super simple; remember to hydrate mama.
Our bodies have been hard at work cleansing our system while we've been asleep so I always drink a large glass of water with lemon as soon as I wake up to re-hydrate. A tip is to keep a flask with you throughout the day.. Ditch the old plastic bottle and treat yourself to a beautiful new glass or metal one. Add some fresh berries, pomegranate or mint for flavour and you'll be surprised how inviting something so simple can be to have with us and to remind us to stay hydrated through our day.
My days are currently filled with lots of family time in the sunshine! Hope you're having a wonderful summer. Sending you love and light xxx
Came across this video by JJ Heller on motherhood. It warmed my heart and I wanna share it with you! We don't realise how much our mamas did for us. How challenging, transformational and wonderful it truly is until we become mamas ourselves...
Let's fill our days with gratitude for all that our mothers have done for us and for the amazing job we are doing ourselves. Let's focus on being present with our little ones, filling our time together with giggles and seeing the magic in small everyday moments.
Have a wonderful week, Love
Hope you're having a wonderful week so far beautiful. Summer is here and I want to share 3 lovely things with you that I hope can inspire you to take some time to fill up your wellness and self-love cup.
1. Plan a daytime date with yourself. If you have errands to run, estimate an extra 30-60min to do something just for you. I love wondering around my favourite shops and stopping by the fruit- and flower market. Taking in the smells, the textures, the people and just being in my own little bubble without anyone needing me for anything in that moment. Or perhaps sitting in a cafe reading a book or magazine... Do something that makes you feel energised by life that is happening all around us (outside to do lists and mama responsibilities). Ready to return home refreshed and focused on being a relaxed, present and happy mama.
2. Plan an evening of self-care (this never gets old). Take a bath, put on a face mask or paint your nails... anything that makes you feel wonderful.
3. Say no to something this week that you don't really want to do (if it isn't absolutely necessary of course like feeding your kids). So often we over extend ourselves and say yes out of obligation or fear of looking bad if we don't... and sometimes we simply overestimate how much we can squeeze in to a day or a week, leaving no time to rest and do the things that re-charge us. Sometimes we have to say no to someone or something else, so that you can say yes to yourself! It isn't selfish - its self-love. You could replace this time with point 1 and 2 above.
When life is busy, it's so EASY to loose that precious balance and forget to prioritise moments to slow down, tune-in and care for ourselves.
For most of us, lack of balance often builds up so gradually that we don't even realise it until it has manifested itself as physical symptoms (stress, frustration, anxiety and exhaustion) or in our relationships (irritability, snapping and arguing). We can often feel like life is hard, stressful and overwhelming, with "no time" to spend quality time with those we love or the things we love to do!
I've been burnt out before and had my fair share of ups and downs in the past which is why I'm so passionate about health, wellness and having balance in our lives. When i follow my own advice and do the things i know creates balance within myself and my life, things are amazing! But when i forget and neglect myself or the things I know I need to do (because im too busy or don't feel like it), things go downhill pretty fast.
But see the universe has a way of doing that when she's trying to teach us something. First its a kind tap on the shoulder, a feeling of something not being quite right (but we often ignore it). Then she nudges and pushes us a little harder... And if we continue to ignore whatever is that is going on, she knocks your over the head and flips your life upside down so you're forced to deal with it.
When life happens and we loose balance, we can see it as an opportunity to learn, grow and become even better versions of ourselves. We just need to sit with the uncomfortableness, accept it and create a new way moving forward.
I'm so grateful to have my health, my family and close friends who love and support me everyday. But the internal work - loving and caring for myself so that i can truly show up in life as the person and mama i want to be today and moving forward, thats on me. So today i want to share with you some of the things that I've been doing recently to make sure I'm staying balanced.
1. I'm prioritising extra time to tune-in with myself through meditation and yoga to connect, calm my mind and relax my body.
2. I'm focusing on my Mindset and treating myself with love, kindness and understanding. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect. Accept it, let it go and move forward. This weeks mantra has been; "Do it with balance and joy, or not at all"
3. Making sure i get enough rest & sleep. Long baths and early nights... As well as nourishing my body with healthy foods (and a little chocolate...)
4. Connection. Away with meaningless distractions (social media) and lots of giggles and fun with Matheo. Honest and open conversations with those i love. Always a little uncomfortable but oh so necessary to heal, move on and create even better relationships.
5. Nourishing my beautiful body with healthy foods (and a little chocolate...)
I've really been craving connecting with more like minded mamas - soul sisters really. So last week i reached out to a new mama i didn't know (the wife of one of my husbands colleagues) and asked her out for a coffee. We hit it off instantly and after 4 hours of chatting, I feel so grateful to have made a new friend. Sometimes we just need to get over the fear, get out there and take a chance (may it be friendships, dating or a new opportunity. It may just work out perfectly ;)
This turned in to a long blog post but i just wanted to remind you that sometimes the toughest weeks can be the most transformational as they push us to take the necessary action we need to take to feel more balanced, relaxed, present and happy within ourselves and in our lives. When we do the inner work, we also have so much more to give back to those we love! I hope that this can inspire and motivate you to stop, re-evaluate, tweak and move forward with balance beautiful mama...
Have a magical week. Love
VLOG: THE ACUPRESSURE POINT FOR INSTANT CLARITY, FOCUS & ENERGY!
Lots of love,
I read an interview with Teresa Palmer, actress and co-founder of Your Zen Mama (If you haven't checked it out, please do, its lovely!), about how she and her husband each have a "non-negotiable". The one thing they need to do everyday for themselves. For her hubby its exercise and for Teresa its taking an hour every evening to herself to soak in the bath...
I love this idea of having a non-negotiable because then you just know that, no matter how busy the day is, you're still going to prioritise some time for self-care and me-time to do what re-charges you.
Personally, I love my 30 minutes of gentle yoga stretches and meditation in the morning. No matter how busy I am, I always make time for this because it has such a huge impact on how I feel the rest of my day!
So this week I want to ask you what your non-negotiable is? If you don't have one, what can you start doing everyday (anywhere from 5 - 60minutes) just for you that can help you feel relaxed and re-centred? It doesn't need to be the same thing necessarily everyday, but perhaps a time you set to do something lovely for yourself. Make it a priority to take some time out of your busy day just for you :)
Lots of Love
This week is Mental Health Awareness Week worldwide! And because I believe that caring for our mind (and body) and really loving ourselves is so important to our health and happiness, I have created a simple 7 Day Mindset & Self-Love Challenge for you
I believe that self-love is absolutely necessary for our health and happiness and its something we all need to work on daily. How we think and feel within ourselves effects how we experience everything that happens in our life and I believe that when we treat ourselves with love and kindness, we are much kinder and more loving towards those we love and, lets face it, we are just much nicer to be around...
It's so easy to get stuck focusing on all the things we don't do or can't do or all our tiny flaws, that we overlook and forget to appreciate how amazing we truly are!
So each day for the next 6 days I will email you a simple task that I believe can help to grow your self-love and thereby your happiness and wellbeing!
Todays challenge is to write a list of 5 things you love and appreciate about yourself. Put it on your fridge or bathroom mirror to remind yourself of how amazing you truly are.
Check your inbox today for an invite to join The 7 Day Mindset & Self-Love Challenge and receive the next 6 daily emails.
Join to get your free Ebook (7 Essential Self-Love & Care Habits Every Mama Needs To Know) and join the challenge the next time it becomes available!
Wishing you a wonderful day, Love