Monday was mothers day here in Norway and today is valentines day - both a lovely reminder to show yourself and those you care about some extra love!
Wanted to share with you 3 of my favourite quotes that I recently posten on instagram;
The best things in life are free so celebrate today with extra hugs, kisses and gratitude for all that you have, all those you love and all that you are
Have a wonderful weekend, love
On Monday morning I woke up feeling rushed, frustrated and like I was somehow behind on my very long to do list for today (despite it only being 7am)...
I wanted to just ignore these feelings and push through, despite feeling a huge resistance that only made me more irritable. I wanted to get on with this crappy Monday, feel a little sorry for myself and start afresh tomorrow...
We all have days like this where things feel well, a little off... But remember that we can, in any given moment, choose to change how we feel! It just takes a little inspired action and a willingness to do so... The key word here being inspired as ignoring these feelings and pushing through will only really create more tension.
So today I want to share with you the 4 things I did to turn my day right around! that I hope can inspire you the next time you find yourself feeling the way I did on Monday morning.
1. I stopped for a moment to acknowledge and accept how I was feeling.
2. Then I made a quick list of what I actually needed to focus on today and which things I could simply remove because they weren't urgent. Reminding myself that doing anything with frustrated or pushy energy wouldn't be beneficial anyway and accepting that not everything has to happen today (something I'm currently working on - patience), helps to release some of the pressure.
3. I went to my favourite yoga class. Sounds idyllic but the resistance I felt as I was going through this Monday morning flow was unbearable at times. I was fighting the need to let go, of surrendering to the present moment and of tuning in to myself and accepting these feelings... It was only towards the end of the class during savasana (relaxation) that I actually felt all these feelings release.
Now I know that not everyone has the same flexibility, but frustration and stress is only stagnated energy in the body and movement moves this energy. So what is something you can do to move your energy while also tuning in to how you're feeling? 15min of stretching while your kids have breakfast or choosing to walk/bike to work with the intention of accepting and letting it all go, can have the same benefit as a morning yoga class. This is perhaps the only place you should push through the resistance of wanting to move your body, but doing so gently could be exactly what you need to help yourself out of the funk.
4. I simply chose to smile and try to release all need to control whatever happens today. To let things be. To flow with whatever happens instead of pushing and creating more resistance. In doing so, I turned my day around and had the best most productive Monday ever.
Knowing that you can change how you feel in any given moment by taking a few simple action steps like moving your body and shifting your focus, can be extremely empowering. So I hope that your day is wonderful regardless of how it started, and that you choose to smile and be grateful for where you are in this exact moment (or try the steps above to shift your focus to feeling your best today...).
My last blog post this year is to encourage you to spend some time reflecting on the past year and decade that's been, and to set come clear goals and intentions for the year and decade to come.
We are all so busy moving forward that if we never pause to look back and be proud of what we are doing or let go of the emotional stress that we all experience, then we carry the heavy stuff with us and miss the magic of who and what we truly are.
And if we dont take a moment to re-assess what we are spending our precious time doing or the direction in which we are going, we may wake up one day to find ourselves in a very different place than we perhaps want to be. Only when we have a clear intention or goal for what we really want can we take the small but necessary daily actions to create the exact life we want.
Make the effort to take some time before new year to ask yourself these questions; (I would recommend writing the answers down twice- one for the past year and once again to cover the past decade).
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and remember to take som time to care for yourself.
Being a mama is wonderful in so many ways! But it also means hectic schedules and very little me-time to also relax and care for yourself (without the mama guilt). Life can sometimes feel more stressful and busy, then easy, balanced and fun... And you can sometimes find yourself feeling frustrated, stressed or anxious, perhaps snapping at those you love and not managing to be fully present in the moment...
The never ending to do list, trying to balance work, family and social life on top of all the things you "should" be doing, can at times feel exhausting... And we all have that inner mean voice that sometimes talks us down and makes us feel like (no matter how much we do) we aren't being or doing enough... right?
We give so much of ourselves to everyone we love and everything we do, but so often forget to also fill our own cup. But I believe that happy mamas make for happy families and loving and caring for yourself isn't selfish, but absolutely necessary for your own health and happiness. I'm passionate about helping mamas to create more Balance and find more Calm within ourselves and in our life, so that we can feel more relaxed, present and happy! Because when we do, we have so much more to give back to those we love and the things we love to do.
I just wrote a brand new book that I'm so excited to share it with YOU! I'm calling it; The Relaxed, Present & Happy Mama. In it I share the 5 Simple (but Essential) steps to creating a more Balanced, Calm and Happy Mind, Body and Mama Life. (Even if you feel stressed, frustrated, exhausted or just too busy to find any time to care for yourself...)
Click here to get your free copy now :)
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it for you! Love,
As the leaves are turning orange and the temperature is dropping, fall has arrived. Every season has an energetic quality to it and Fall is Yin. This is a time when our energy levels are naturally lower and our need for rest and retreating inward is greater.
Every season is magical in its own way and today I want to share with you my top tips for embracing fall:
1. Fall is a great time to release what is no longer serving you. This could be decluttering your home, letting go of any emotional baggage you may be holding on too, resolving any tension in your relationships and simply practicing letting go of trying to control everything and just being in the present moment.
2. Your energy levels are naturally lower so balance out moving your body with enough rest and sleep. If you don't feel like being overly social, don't. If you need a full day or weekend to decompress and hibernate, it's ok. Make some arrangements, get a babysitter, ditch the guilt and do whatever you need to do to re-charge.
3.Give yourself some time in the mornings to wake up slowly and connect with how you're feeling.
4. Go through your closet and put away your summer clothes for next year. Donate or sell any clothes you don't absolutely love or use regularly so that your closet is only full of clothes that make you feel relaxed, happy and beautiful (and warm!).
5. Make your home a little sanctuary for the whole family by separating areas for play and areas for relaxing. (Perhaps filling the relaxing area with some dried flowers, candles and soft cushions and throws, perfect for snuggling and sipping cocoa together).
6. Spend time in nature. Dress up warm and head outdoors to enjoy the crisp cool air. When you get back home, dim the lights, light some candles and embrace the yin energy of fall.
This is me and my family, and what YinMama is all about :)
Love & Light,
I came across a beautiful poem by @tessguinery on instagram that I found to be so beautiful and inspiring. It reminded me that it's ok to be honest and real, to go slow and care for yourself also. I hope you like it as much as I do.
If I choose to always grow,
maybe she will bloom like a wildflower.
If I make art from my everyday,
she too, will create her days full of colour.
If I let my tears fall and always when they need,
perhaps she’ll water the earth with an open heart.
If I’m clumsy-crazy and all about her Dad,
a beautiful-crazy-love is what her heart will search for.
If I let him forever romance me in the wake of day,
she will forever know no less.
If I say “I’m sorry”—even when it’s hard,
maybe she’ll be quick to forgive others.
If I choose to speak life in vibrant and rich colours,
let beige words never settle in her heart.
If I leave pretty love-notes, handwritten on every wall,
affirmations will line the depth of her soul.
If I choose the uncomfy and forever shake up my ways,
maybe she too, will stand to live life bold & brave.
If I take time to be alone & make dreaming paramount to my week,
she’ll learn solitude is important and a golden gift to seek.
If I look in the mirror and speak kind and gentle words,
she too, will forever know her worth.
If I fill our house with flowers, music & sweet loving scents,
maybe the silhouette of home will always be warmth.
If our front door is always open to those who are in need,
she’ll learn the golden purpose of life.
If I pray out loud and have real conversations with God,
maybe she’ll move mountains with her voice.
If I tell her I love her a million times a day,
maybe, just maybe, she’ll learn:
that even in my flaws,
and my mistakes,
I gave her my entire heart
- My motherhood monologue, by Tess Guinery
Everything is energy. Have you ever walked into a room or a space that somehow felt heavy, dense, strange, cold or made you feel unexplainably uneasy? And walked into others that instantly made you feel lighter, happier and more relaxed?
Energy from people, conversations, emotional stress etc can linger in a room for a long time which is why I love to regularly cleanse our house (and myself) using sage! The sweet smelling thick white smoke from the dry herbs helps reset the energy.
You can purchase sage in some health food stores, crystal shops and online like iherb. Great times to sage could be after arguments, illness and anytime you feel stressed, heavy or down. I also like to sage before I do longer sessions of yoga and meditation practices.
Open doors and windows, perhaps unplug sensitive smoke alarms and light the sage. Leave it to burn for a few seconds then blow it out and walk around the room, pushing the smoke into corners with your hand. Make sure to put it out properly in a fireproof container. Notice how you feel after saging your house or particular room...
(Wanna make it extra woowoo? Use a feather to push the smoke around, walk anti-clockwise and say out loud; "With this sage I cleanse this room of all negative energy. Thank you, thank you, thank you").
Happy saging mama!
Came across this video by JJ Heller on motherhood. It warmed my heart and I wanna share it with you! We don't realise how much our mamas did for us. How challenging, transformational and wonderful it truly is until we become mamas ourselves...
Let's fill our days with gratitude for all that our mothers have done for us and for the amazing job we are doing ourselves. Let's focus on being present with our little ones, filling our time together with giggles and seeing the magic in small everyday moments.
Have a wonderful week, Love
When life is busy, it's so EASY to loose that precious balance and forget to prioritise moments to slow down, tune-in and care for ourselves.
For most of us, lack of balance often builds up so gradually that we don't even realise it until it has manifested itself as physical symptoms (stress, frustration, anxiety and exhaustion) or in our relationships (irritability, snapping and arguing). We can often feel like life is hard, stressful and overwhelming, with "no time" to spend quality time with those we love or the things we love to do!
I've been burnt out before and had my fair share of ups and downs in the past which is why I'm so passionate about health, wellness and having balance in our lives. When i follow my own advice and do the things i know creates balance within myself and my life, things are amazing! But when i forget and neglect myself or the things I know I need to do (because im too busy or don't feel like it), things go downhill pretty fast.
But see the universe has a way of doing that when she's trying to teach us something. First its a kind tap on the shoulder, a feeling of something not being quite right (but we often ignore it). Then she nudges and pushes us a little harder... And if we continue to ignore whatever is that is going on, she knocks your over the head and flips your life upside down so you're forced to deal with it.
When life happens and we loose balance, we can see it as an opportunity to learn, grow and become even better versions of ourselves. We just need to sit with the uncomfortableness, accept it and create a new way moving forward.
I'm so grateful to have my health, my family and close friends who love and support me everyday. But the internal work - loving and caring for myself so that i can truly show up in life as the person and mama i want to be today and moving forward, thats on me. So today i want to share with you some of the things that I've been doing recently to make sure I'm staying balanced.
1. I'm prioritising extra time to tune-in with myself through meditation and yoga to connect, calm my mind and relax my body.
2. I'm focusing on my Mindset and treating myself with love, kindness and understanding. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect. Accept it, let it go and move forward. This weeks mantra has been; "Do it with balance and joy, or not at all"
3. Making sure i get enough rest & sleep. Long baths and early nights... As well as nourishing my body with healthy foods (and a little chocolate...)
4. Connection. Away with meaningless distractions (social media) and lots of giggles and fun with Matheo. Honest and open conversations with those i love. Always a little uncomfortable but oh so necessary to heal, move on and create even better relationships.
5. Nourishing my beautiful body with healthy foods (and a little chocolate...)
I've really been craving connecting with more like minded mamas - soul sisters really. So last week i reached out to a new mama i didn't know (the wife of one of my husbands colleagues) and asked her out for a coffee. We hit it off instantly and after 4 hours of chatting, I feel so grateful to have made a new friend. Sometimes we just need to get over the fear, get out there and take a chance (may it be friendships, dating or a new opportunity. It may just work out perfectly ;)
This turned in to a long blog post but i just wanted to remind you that sometimes the toughest weeks can be the most transformational as they push us to take the necessary action we need to take to feel more balanced, relaxed, present and happy within ourselves and in our lives. When we do the inner work, we also have so much more to give back to those we love! I hope that this can inspire and motivate you to stop, re-evaluate, tweak and move forward with balance beautiful mama...
Have a magical week. Love