We all know it's important, but we often forget. So todays blog post is super simple; remember to hydrate mama.
Our bodies have been hard at work cleansing our system while we've been asleep so I always drink a large glass of water with lemon as soon as I wake up to re-hydrate. A tip is to keep a flask with you throughout the day.. Ditch the old plastic bottle and treat yourself to a beautiful new glass or metal one. Add some fresh berries, pomegranate or mint for flavour and you'll be surprised how inviting something so simple can be to have with us and to remind us to stay hydrated through our day.
My days are currently filled with lots of family time in the sunshine! Hope you're having a wonderful summer. Sending you love and light xxx
Hope you're having a wonderful week so far beautiful. Summer is here and I want to share 3 lovely things with you that I hope can inspire you to take some time to fill up your wellness and self-love cup.
1. Plan a daytime date with yourself. If you have errands to run, estimate an extra 30-60min to do something just for you. I love wondering around my favourite shops and stopping by the fruit- and flower market. Taking in the smells, the textures, the people and just being in my own little bubble without anyone needing me for anything in that moment. Or perhaps sitting in a cafe reading a book or magazine... Do something that makes you feel energised by life that is happening all around us (outside to do lists and mama responsibilities). Ready to return home refreshed and focused on being a relaxed, present and happy mama.
2. Plan an evening of self-care (this never gets old). Take a bath, put on a face mask or paint your nails... anything that makes you feel wonderful.
3. Say no to something this week that you don't really want to do (if it isn't absolutely necessary of course like feeding your kids). So often we over extend ourselves and say yes out of obligation or fear of looking bad if we don't... and sometimes we simply overestimate how much we can squeeze in to a day or a week, leaving no time to rest and do the things that re-charge us. Sometimes we have to say no to someone or something else, so that you can say yes to yourself! It isn't selfish - its self-love. You could replace this time with point 1 and 2 above.
I read an interview with Teresa Palmer, actress and co-founder of Your Zen Mama (If you haven't checked it out, please do, its lovely!), about how she and her husband each have a "non-negotiable". The one thing they need to do everyday for themselves. For her hubby its exercise and for Teresa its taking an hour every evening to herself to soak in the bath...
I love this idea of having a non-negotiable because then you just know that, no matter how busy the day is, you're still going to prioritise some time for self-care and me-time to do what re-charges you.
Personally, I love my 30 minutes of gentle yoga stretches and meditation in the morning. No matter how busy I am, I always make time for this because it has such a huge impact on how I feel the rest of my day!
So this week I want to ask you what your non-negotiable is? If you don't have one, what can you start doing everyday (anywhere from 5 - 60minutes) just for you that can help you feel relaxed and re-centred? It doesn't need to be the same thing necessarily everyday, but perhaps a time you set to do something lovely for yourself. Make it a priority to take some time out of your busy day just for you :)
Lots of Love
ACUPRESSURE POINT YINTANG FOR CALM & RELAXATION
This week I want to give you a quick tip to help you relax and calm your mind... There is an acupressure point called YinTang that is located between your eyebrows, in the centre.
There are 3 ways to stimulate this point.
1. Apply medium pressure to the point (enough so it feels tender but not painful, you don't want a bruise). Hold for 3-5 seconds and gently release. Repeat 3-5 times.
2. The easiest and my favourite way is to massage this point in an upward sweeping motion for however long it feels comfortable. This can also help soothe away any frown lines ;)
3. Lying down, place a crystal like rose quartz on Yintang. Close your eyes and breathe...
This is a great point to use before bed as it can help to calm the mind, ease tension and headaches, and promote restful sleep.
Wishing you a very happy easter! Lots of love
WHY I LOVE COCONUT OIL & 5 GREAT WAYS TO USE IT EVERY DAY
Coconut oil is something I use everyday because the health benefits of this multi-use oil are so many! So today I thought I would share my top 5 ways to use it daily in your self-care practice.
1. I love to use coconut oil to cook and bake with as it can withstand high temperatures, and I often add it to my breakfast porridge or smoothie.
2. I use it in the shower and bath as it nourishes the skin! its also great to shave with...
3. I use it when massaging and moisturising my skin.
4. It works wonders as a hair- and face mask.
5. And I love to use as a carrier oil for essential oils...
Hope this inspires you to start using this wonderful oil. Have a great week!
Lots of love
BE KIND TO YOUR FEET & TREAT THEM TO A LUXURIOUS & RELAXING FOOT BATH
After a long day on my feet, having a long soak in the bath is my favourite self-care ritual. However if you don't have a bathtub or want to do something simple and lovely for yourself, try a luxurious (but very simple) foot bath! Its a perfect way to de-stress after a long day and lets be honest, our feet do so much for us and we hardly ever pay them any attention.
For this foot bath I used:
A bowl filled with warm/hot water
2 tbs of pink Himalayan salt (but epsom salt and sea salt are great too)
1tbs of coconut oil
A few slices of lemon
3-4 drops of peppermint and lavender essential oil
A few fresh flowers and dried lavender petals in to make it feel extra luxurious and inviting.
After soaking them, dry your feet and give yourself a loving foot massage. There is an acupressure point called KI1 located under the soles of your feet. Add some pressure here to help ground and relax you.
Breathe, relax and show your feet some much deserved love.
Lots of love
WHY I LOVE DRY BRUSHING & HOW TO DO IT
The days I remember to dry brush before stepping into the shower or relaxing in the bath (note to self - leave it out so I see it and remember tomorrow), I always feel more energised and connected to my body. It's a self-care practice that I'm keen to make a regular habit this year.
If you're new to dry brushing, it is just that - gently brushing your skin. Starting under the soles of your feet and legs, you use gentle long brush strokes from the outer parts of your body, inwards towards your heart. I like to spend about about 3-5 minutes doing it.
Apparently it can help remove dead skin cells without damaging the skin, prevent cellulite, smooth the skin, increase energy levels, and stimulate the nervous system, blood circulation and lymphatic system. Um yes please.
I use the natural body brush for my body and a smaller gentler one for my face, both by Karameju that I love and recommend.
So this weeks self-care tip; take a few minutes to yourself and dry brush your skin before taking a relaxing shower or bath. And remember to re-hydrate after to help your body flush out the toxins...
Lots of love
3 ESSENTIAL OILS FOR RELAXATION
I have been using essential oils for a few years now in everything from homemade cleaning products to massage oil. But my favourite time to use them is in the evening when I need to relax...
So a little self-care tip for whenever you need to relax and unwind is to put a few drops of Lavender, Bergamot or Chamomile essential oil in the bath water, on the floor of your shower or in a diffuser. You can also dilute them in water and spray around the room or on your pillow before bed. Ahh I can feel my shoulders relaxing as I'm typing.
Choose whichever one you like the best, in my experience its usually the one I need the most. You can buy single or ready blended oils for different uses depending on how you want to feel. (Just remember to follow the instructions on how to use them because they are strong!) I've also come across a few Etsy shops that sell ready diluted room and body sprays!
Take care, Lots of love
Turn your phone off, ditch the tv and prioritise an evening of self-care. Here are 5 lovely ideas to help you relax and unwind.
Lots of love
With hectic schedules and long to do list's, it can sometimes be easy to forget to slow down and care for ourselves. So what is Self-care really all about?
It's essentially anything you do for yourself that helps improve your well-being and happiness. There are so many ways to practice self-care and we all need to find what works for us.
How to practise self-care can be divided into 3 areas: Mind, body and spirit. How we treat these 3 areas can impact our emotions and overall well-being.
self-care for your mind is about balancing stimulating your mind through for example learning, reading and interacting with others, with relaxing and unwinding.
Self-care for your body is about nourishing your body with healthy foods, balancing movement and exercise with enough rest and sleep.
Self-care for your spirit is really anything that brings you joy and doing what you're passionate about. being creative, spending time in nature and helping others are examples of ways to care for your spirit.
What is something you can do for yourself today to improve your well-being?
Lots of love